|Photo Hampshire County Council , The River Hamble Harbor Authority|
Perhaps you just bought your first motor boat, having ignored the admonition..." that a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money". Well, you get to use the waterways right along with the big boys; forget about driving on your left, the nautical rules to avoid collision work differently and amateur and professional boat operators alike are held to the same standard of conformance with these rules. Where can you learn about the nautical rules to avoid collision (aka "Rules of the Road")? More importantly, you're going to want boat insurance, where can you find competent instruction that might net you a discount on your boat insurance?
Then there is the day that always comes when you really want to venture out of the sight of land, maybe not far, perhaps just across a large bay, but you're going to have to at least know the rudiments of coastal navigation. Where can you find competent instruction? We would imagine that you have come to the American Admiralty Books site because you have heard of our motto, "the only place you need to know to find the answers to anything about the maritime world". Our motto is a tall order, we actually don't know everything, but like good librarians we know where everything can be found. That includes other more specialized websites on maritime subjects.
Image from Amazon.com
So you're a Brit in need of nautical enlightenment? Try these sites:
SEAVOICE TRAINING, "Communicate, Navigate", a commercial training company specializing in services to the recreational boating, yachting, communities the Lifeboat service, divers, and fishermen.
THE ROYAL YACHTING ASSOCIATION: The British non profit association that sponsors courses, events, and generally promotes recreational boating and yachting. RYA TRAINING PROGRAMS FOR ALL AGES AND SKILL LEVELS
And of course being the AMERICAN ADMIRALTY BOOKS organization we are acutely aware that not everyone who speaks the "Queens English" or a reasonably mutually understandable facsimile such as American English, is a resident of the UK. So for many others in the "Anglo Sphere here are other training sources:
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
U.S. Power Squadron
state boating agencies
SOME U.S. BASED ON LINE COURSES APPROVED BY SOME STATE BOATING LAW ADMINISTRATORS: ( WE RECOMMEND ACTUAL HANDS ON TRAINING FOR THE PREVIOUSLY INEXPERIENCED)
American Boating Education - Welcome to the Internet’s best boating safety course and Your Fastest Way to the Water.
Boat U.S. Foundation Online Boating Safety Course - Our free, interactive, non-proctored course and exam has been approved by the National Association of Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and is recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard as exceeding the minimum requirements for the National Recreational Boating Safety Program.
Boat Ed Boating Safety Courses - All of Boat Ed's state-specific boating safety courses are approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and recognized by the United States Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety
BoaterExam.com - A leading provider of safe boater education and certification across the United States and Canada. Our online boating safety course allows boaters to meet mandatory education requirements and to obtain their official boater education card or boating license online.
Boating Basics Online - Take a Boating Safety Course and Certification Test online.
PWC Safety School - America's free online source for Personal WatercraftU.S. Sailing Programs offer instruction in small and large sailboats, windsurfers, and powerboats. All levels of instruction are available around the country for beginner to advanced skills. Information on courses and instruction is available on their website. They also have online sailing and powerboat courses.
Most yacht clubs also offer boating or sailing courses for juniors and adults. For a list of yacht clubs worldwide, click here.
- Australian Boating College - Australia’s biggest training provider for boat licenses and jet ski licenses.
- Yachting Australia - The national body for sailing in Australia
- BOATsmart! Canada - BOATsmart! Canada is dedicated to enhancing boating safety and providing the best pleasure craft operator training and testing available in Canada.
- Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons - Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons provide boating safety courses Canada wide, power and sail navigation courses and offers Canadian Coast Guard approved boating license courses at locations across Canada.
- Canadian Yachting Association - The CYA is the national governing body for the sport of sailing. With over 70 years of training experience, the CYA is Canada's premier on-water training organization.
- Canada's Office of Boating Safety - The Office of Boating Safety recommends that all boaters take a boating safety course. Find out where you can write the test and/or take a course in your area.
- Safe Boater Training Program - The Safe Boater Training Program is Canadian Coast Guard accredited to Conduct Training, Administer Exam Testing and Issue a Pleasure Craft Operator Card and Certification.
- Coastguard Boating Education - New Zealand's leading provider of recreational boating courses, with more than 40 core and specialty programmes available for all levels of knowledge and ability.
- Yachting New Zealand - New Zealand yachting's governing body. Most of their affiliated clubs offer learn to sail classes.
FOR INFORMATION, LINKS TO VARIOUS YACHT CLUBS, AND OTHER TRAINING SOURCES, THE WEB SITE THAT WE FOUND TO BE MOST FOCUSED AND UP TO DATE ON SUCH TRAINING RESOURCES AND ON WHICH WE RELIED FOR MUCH OF OUR INFORMATION IS : MARINE WAY POINTS.COM